Advisory Board Members
The function of our advisory board is to offer assistance to TechPort with anything from marketing to managing human resources to influencing the strategic direction of the facility.
Being resourced for success is a large challenge for startups. Bringing technology and industry partners onto your team reduces investor risk and increases opportunities. At TechPort, we assign an EIR (Entrepreneur-In-Residence) who can bring respected technology partners to your team, as well as targeted investors.
Technology and Market Areas: Our advisors are experienced in the following technologies and markets:
UAS Systems, Physics, Digital Electronics, Supercomputing, Displays, Computer-generated Images, Fiber Optics/Telecom, Semiconductors, Energy Storage, Oil Refining, Renewable Energy, Algae, Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, FEA, Bioscience, Food/Ingredients, Nutraceuticals, IT, Healthcare, Defense/Aero.
Investors: TechPort advisors are connected to a broad range of private investors, and bring strategic connections to facilitate the public funding options:
- Private Equity: Angel, SuperAngel, VC, Corporate, Institutional, Philanthropic-Impact Investing, Debt Financing
- Public Facilities: Such as NSF I-Corps, TEDCO, and the Momentum Fund**, (**TechPort clients qualify to be applicants for the UMD-affiliated Momentum Fund, and TEDCO funding opportunities.)
- TechPort Facility
- Premier office: 1- 4 person private offices, options include dedicated and co-working contract space.
- Open collaboration space, (Collaboration Cafe), conference room-style deal/idea presentation room
- Secure, high-speed internet
- Premier, high quality, and large (4’ parts) 3D printing tools
- Workshop/workspace offices, offered as option in client contract.
- Machine shop
- Location: UAS Central
- St. Mary’s County Airport is a rapidly expanding hub of defense/aero and manufacturing companies surrounding TechPort, offering additional strategic and unique resources to assist our startups.
- University of Maryland UAS Test Site is a major strategic partner and located next door to the TechPort hanger. These inhouse specialists are available to assist your UAS company in getting off-the-ground with expertise in performing testing, securing the authorization for test flights, and expert advice in all phases of UAS product development.
- Did you know that TechPort is part of a newly established Innovation District? The area surrounding TechPort and the airport is quickly transforming into an exciting Innovation District which will include development of the University System of Maryland at Southern Maryland (USM) Autonomous Vehicle Research Facility, situated next to the existing USM Higher Education Center and become part of a campus where students can complete degrees in engineering related to UAS systems. The Center will also house graduate research programs. Ground-breaking for the research facility is scheduled for Fall of 2019. The larger Innovation District plan includes enticing eateries, coffee shops, entertainment, stores and other amenities to attract and maintain a tech-oriented workforce to support the growing and vibrant innovation community of Southern Maryland
Offices, Workshops, Common Area Facilities:
Its no secret that working in a positive working environment improves your attitude and results. Introducing your company to investors in TechPort’s facilities starts you off with a great first impression.
TechPort offers a wide variety of premier 1-3 person offices, including traditional “hard wall”, high wall partition, and cubicles. Partition Offices offer reconfiguration opportunity to meet your specific needs.
Lobby & Shared Services Desk Deal Room Connection Cafe
High Strength Carbon Fiber 3D Printer Mega Size 3D Printer Machine Shop
Hardwall Workshop/Offices Partition-Workshop Offices Special Event Space
The TechPort Marketing Advantage
As a TechPort client, you’re being continuously marketed via traditional and digital services. Traditional marketing includes: signage (inside/outside the building), newsletters, newspaper articles, and event speaking opportunities (including TechPort LunchBox Talks, TechAfterHours, and special events such as our annual Hangar Party). Digital marketing includes TechPort webpage and social media outlets.